Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Every Possible Mistake

Yesterday I made some, um, sub-optimal choices. So it goes. I think beating yourself up about mistakes is often more damaging than making a mistake, though...so I just keep going.

My choices:

green tea with 2 probiotic caps
green juice (1 head kale, 1 apple, 1/2 head celery, 1 head romaine, little parsley) drunk throughout the day
3 prenatal vitamins, spaced throughout the day
4 sm. green apples
cup guacamole with 1/2 head celery and 1/2 cup parsley
Vegetable roll (from the sushi place)
cup edamame
sm. piece tempeh

Well, not terrible. But I definitely ate past the point of hunger -- and even satiety -- with that guacamole. Oh, guac! Why are you so delicious? It's the fresh but store-bought kind that inspires my overeating. Just seems like such a treat, and I didn't have to make it so I have no sense of its value.

Recommendations: I recently saw a list of The Dirty Dozen -- the most heavily sprayed produce items -- and realized that many of my regulars are on the list. I wish more stores sold organic produce...in my neighborhood, it's very difficult to find. Anyway, I went to buy a bunch of organic greenery, which was fun.

I also read a good article about a raw food diet and its use during pregnancy. They also recommend tempeh for its B12. I like it, but I think now I better chill out on the soy. Once in a while is okay. I've just never learned the difference between "okay, now and again" and "okay, now! and again!"

The nitty gritty: As usual, this is way TMI, but... I evacuated pretty well, some gas. The, a-hem, issue is clearing up. I feel some odd ghostly cramping low down -- lower than I would feel it during a period. My nips are ridonkulously sore. I went running and, towards the end, it felt like I was being stabbed in the nips by tiny, vicious assassins.

My sleep was a bit different, too. Instead of a nap, I went to bed at 11 and woke at 8. Whoo! Wish I could do that when I'm working. I should get a jump start on my work, come to think of it, because I have school and a full-time job to contend with come January. Sigh.

***

I think sleep and morning light erase all errors. Or not all, but most. Yesterday I felt sad, really gloomy, for much of the day...but a good sleep has put me to rights. Here's a passage about morning's temporary reprieve from Elizabeth Bishop's "Roosters":

In the morning
a low light is floating
in the backyard, and gilding

from underneath
the broccoli, leaf by leaf;
how could the night have come to grief?

gilding the tiny
floating swallow's belly
and lines of pink cloud in the sky,

the day's preamble
like wandering lines in marble,
The cocks are now almost inaudible.

The sun climbs in,
following "to see the end,"
faithful as enemy, or friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment